Port of Spain Lighthouse, St Vincent Jetty. Built in 1880s, 64 ft hexagonal tower with a small lantern at the top and a gallery in the middle, painted white with red and black trim. The original lighthouse was also hexagonal, but only 43 ft tall. The lighthouse was built at the base of the St. Vincent Jetty, but since then the shoreline has been extended and the original purpose of the light has been lost. At some point some restoration work was done on the tower, but by 2004 it was in poor condition, with a lean of about 5°. In late 2005, the lighthouse was repainted in a wildly colorful pattern honoring Trinidad and Tobago’s World Cup soccer team, and in late 2006 it was painted again to publicize the Cricket World Cup played in Trinidad in 2007. 2011 photo by Jaime Bagoo

Canons at Fort San Andrés. One of the oldest forts built for the defense of Port of Spain. Originally built on an offshore rock in the harbour, the site is now inland due to reclamation of the surrounding land. After the British captured Trinidad in 1797 the fort fell into disuse. A new building, built on the foundations of the old fort housed the Commercial Newsroom, and later the harbour-master’s office. The building housed various government offices, but when the Police Service Traffic Branch vacated the building in 1995 the decision was made to restore the building to its 1845 appearance and convert it to a museum of the City of Port of Spain. Several of the original cannons are still present and the foundations bear the date 1785. The fort may have been built as early as 1757, but the first reference to the fort is in 1777. It saw action when the British captured Trinidad in 1797, but was unable to prevent them from landing. Photos by Jaime Bagoo

Did you know this boat went around the world? Harold La Borde and his wife made history in this vessel. A famous Trinidadian sailor and adventurer who in 1963 to 1973 circumnavigated the world in his 40ft ketch, ‘Hummingbird II’. He was accompanied by his wife, Kwailan, and his five year old son Pierre. As the first known Trinidadian sailors to cross the Atlantic and later to circumnavigate, Harold and Kwailan were awarded the nation’s highest honor - the Gold Trinity Cross. Photo by Jaime Bagoo

Named after Ernest Hugh Canning, Canning’s Corner, which was situated at 25 Frederick Street, corner of Queen Street, Port of Spain. was the site of a popular grocery store of the day.
In 1941, at the time of World War II, Canning’s American son-in-law: Gordon Graves New, then manager of the soft-drink division of the company, arranged for the company to get the bottling concession for the novelty drink in order to supply the heavy demand of the soldiers stationed at Chaguaramas as well as the Wallerfield bases. 2011 Photo by Jaime Bagoo

 

  1. jus-trini-tings reblogged this from culturalpursuits
  2. reese-k reblogged this from culturalpursuits
  3. misspeache reblogged this from sanman-ish
  4. sanman-ish reblogged this from culturalpursuits
  5. culturalpursuits posted this